Our history

Christ Church is the people who through worship, service or other activities base themselves at Christ Church Centre.

Opened in 1980 as a place for worship on Sundays and for fellowship and service during the week, Christ Church Centre replaced the original 19th Century romanesque Church in Verulam Road St Albans. The old building still exists but has been refurbished inside and turned to commercial use.

In the early 1970s it was clear that it was too costly to maintain the old building and it was also in the wrong place being located on an edge rather than at the heart of the parish.

A daughter church, St Andrew's, for some years held services on the current site in a temporary wooden building built when the New Greens Estate was a new development. It made sense to close Christ Church, Verulam Road and in October 1974 the congregation moved, everyone starting to worship together at St Andrew's. New plans were developed to build a more permanent building.

The old wooden St Andrew's building remained standing, becoming increasingly run down. Still used for activities, it became known as the Lighthouse but in June 2008 an arson attack rendered it unrepairable. It was swiftly demolished and in October 2010 new facilities began to be built, joined to the existing brick building. The whole building is now to be known as Christ Church Centre.

At each stage of this history the people of Christ Church have been conscious of God's leading and God's generosity. Most of the building work undertaken has been financed by congregational giving coupled with, most recently, the insurance payout from the Lighthouse. On one day in 2009 the congregation pledged £700,000.

----------------------------------------

The following is an early account, dating from 1943, of the beginnings and earliest days of Christ Church, written by the then Vicar, the Revd John Waddington Hubbard and his church wardens.